Proper oral hygiene care is very important for teens. Keeping
teeth and gums clean and healthy now will help prevent tooth
decay and gum disease in the future. Here are a few dental
health tips for teens:
- Always use fluoride toothpaste and brush your teeth at
least twice a day -- and do not forget to brush your tongue.
This helps to fight bad breath.
- Use dental floss daily to remove plaque from between your
- Be careful with tongue rings. They can cause infection,
nerve damage, chip or crack your teeth, and cause your tongue
to swell large enough to close off your airway.
- Drink lots of water and limit soft drinks. If you must
have a soda, drink it through a straw to prevent discoloration
of the front teeth.
- Do not whiten your teeth until the age of 14. At this
time the pulp is fully formed and the tooth will be less
sensitive to the peroxide.